Guidelines for Personal Use of Student-Owned Laptops/Netbooks in School
PURPOSE: St. Hubert Catholic High School for Girls will provide students access to a wireless network and the option of bringing in a personal laptop or netbook as a means to enhance their education. The purpose of these guidelines is to assure that students recognize the limitations that the school imposes on their use of personal computers. In addition to these guidelines, the use of any computer in school, including laptop computers or netbooks, also requires students to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The Laptop Program provides the St. Hubert High School community with a tool to expand its members’ learning opportunities. It opens limitless possibilities; users may go virtually anywhere and interact with anyone. With such opportunity comes responsibility. Use of the SHHS network and its related computer facilities is a privilege afforded to members of the school community. The underlying principle of adherence to all guidelines is an understanding that the manner in which students use technology reflects character, good judgment, and upholds our core values of faith, honesty and integrity. For these reasons, the Administration reserves the right to amend these guidelines at any time.
During the course of the school year, additional rules regarding the use of personal laptops or netbooks may be added. If this occurs, any new rule will become a part of this policy.
St. Hubert Catholic High School for Girls provides the opportunity for students to bring a personal computer to school to use as an educational tool.
- Student use of a personal laptop or netbook must support the instructional activities currently occurring in each classroom and lab.
- Students must turn off and put away a personal computer when requested by a teacher. If an adult asks a student to put her laptop away because of games or other non-instructional activities, the student must comply.
- Students may use their personal laptops or netbooks before school and after school. The laptop should be used for educational purposes during these times also.
Expected Student Behaviors and Responsibilities
St. Hubert Catholic High School for Girls accepts no responsibility for personal property brought to the school by students. Students who choose to bring a personal computer to school assume total responsibility for that item. Laptops that are stolen or damaged are the responsibility of the student and their parents or guardians. Students should take all reasonable steps to protect against the theft or damage of their personal laptop.
Personal Computer Conduct
The student must:
- Use only the St. Hubert Catholic High School for Girls assigned wireless network. No outside network connections can be used on school property whatsoever.
- Access appropriate information, images and data and use appropriate language, images and information
- Never view, use, or copy passwords of another user.
- Access or share other people’s data only after permission has been given. Understand that groups will share files during collaborative projects.
- Never distribute personal information regarding herself or anyone else, to anyone online – such as, but not limited to phone numbers, addresses, or last name.
- Immediately report threatening, discomforting, indecent, or inappropriate materials, found on the Internet or in a file, to a teacher or someone else in authority.
- Never buy, sell, advertise, or otherwise conduct business, unless this is approved as a school assignment.
- Never view or share photos or videos of anyone without their consent.
- Keep computers on mute unless a teacher is allowing sound.
Students should take the following physical security preventative measures.
- Computers may NEVER be left unattended for ANY period of time.
- Unattended laptops/netbooks will be turned into the Main Office.
- Access Control and Authentication
To use a computer within the school, students must register the MAC address and serial number of the laptop with the school.
YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED OF DATE FOR LAPTOP/ NETBOOK REGISTRATION. DO NOT BRING YOUR LAPTOP TO SCHOOL UNLESS YOU HAVE HAD IT REGISTERED. You will be provided with a sticker to display on the lid of the registered computer. This sticker must be visible at all times.
- No student shall knowingly gain access to, or attempt to gain access to, any computer, computer system, computer network, information storage media, or peripheral equipment without the consent of authorized school personnel.
- No printing will occur directly from the laptops or netbooks. All printing will occur in the computer labs from the school computers.
- The school is not responsible for, and will not be providing, tech support.